A delicious, savory Dutch-Indonesian cheese cookies, usually in the form of a stick commonly found in the Netherlands and Indonesia.
I grew up eating Kaasstengels around the Christmas holidays. In my younger years, I’ve never really learned to appreciate savory desserts (I mean cheese cookies does sound like it’s going to taste a little weird, right?). But as I grew older and as my taste buds start to change, these cookies have been a delight to have – and it’s always a hit whenever I bring them to the office, especially to those who don’t particularly like anything too sweet.
According to Wikipedia, kaas is a Dutch word for “cheese,” and stengels is a Dutch word for “stick.” You put them together and voilà – cheese sticks. Literally translation of the cookie itself. Whoever came up with this name is a pure genius.
You can find the ingredients you need to make these delicious and exotic cookies probably in your pantry and refrigerator. If not, a quick trip to your local grocery store will do the trick. Nothing fancy – just your basic butter, eggs, flour, corn starch, and cheese.
One important thing to note – the recipe below is measured in grams. I used Google to convert the measurements. If you use the conversion below, please beware!
500 grams butter (roughly, 1.1 lb)
8 egg yolk (just the yolk, folks! Save those egg whites for some delicious macarons)
600 grams all-purpose flour (roughly, 1.3 lb)
200 grams corn starch (roughly, 7.05 oz)
360 grams shredded cheese (roughly 12.70 oz; you can use any cheese you like. I usually like using cheddar because of its sharpness)
350 grams Parmesan cheese (the dry Parmesan cheese! Save the rest for the next time you have Pizza night)
Egg wash (crack a few eggs and whisk it up – I don’t add any milk or water but you’re welcome to do so. Adding milk or water lightens the wash, and I like to have a nice, yellowy color to my egg wash, especially for this particular recipe)
Shredded cheese for sprinkling (yum!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine the flour and corn start together
- Combine the shredded cheese and Parmesan cheese together
- Beat butter until smooth using a mixer. Add eggs slowly as you continue to beat the butter. Mix well.
- Using a spatula, add the rest of dry ingredients, starting with the flour and corn starch combination. Add the cheese and mix well until all the ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Lay a plastic saran wrap on your work surface. Or you can generously flour your counter top. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough flat on the surface until you get about 1/3 in of thickness.
- Use a knife to cut the dough into rectangular pieces or use a mold.
- Once your dough is ready, carefully place them onto a baking sheet and brush each one with the egg wash that you prepared.
- Finish by adding shredded cheese on top of the brushed dough.
- Bake in 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15-18 minutes.
That’s it! In 10 easy steps, you can enjoy these delicious savory cookies. They’re great to snack on and also make an excellent gift!